- This event has passed.
(Webinar) Ray Bollman’s “Manitoba’s Rural Demography Structure and Trends: An Update”
November 4, 2014
A Rural Development Institute webinar, Ray Bollman (2014) presents: “Manitoba’s Rural Demography Structure and Trends: An Update.”
“…Rural development is getting harder because there are now fewer potential labour market entrants than potential retirees
- Non-metro has had 40% of Manitoba’s population since 1996
- Non-metro Manitoba is growing.
- The sources of population change are:
- Natural balance = births minus deaths
- Internal migration (voting with your feed regarding where to live)
- Immigration: some communities are attracting immigrants
- Youth migration: How many leave? How many return?
- 17% of Manitoba’s population reports an Aboriginal Identity
- From a short-distance society to an industrial society to an open society…”