- Board Member, Westman Community Futures
- Member, Manitoba Minister’s Immigration Council
- National. Canadian Rural Revitalization Foundation task force to make public publications from the closure of Mount Allison University’s Rural and Small Town Program. 2011.
- Ashton, W., Needham, T., and Jaeger, D. Nov 23, 2007. Inspiring natural resource managers: Making learning real. Integrated Forest Management Lab, UNB, Faculty of Forestry and Environmental Management. Fredericton, NB.
- College of Extended Learning, Program Director, University of New Brunswick, 1999-2004.
- 2002 NB Dept. of Natural Resources and Energy. Aboriginal Awareness course for public service managers. College of Extended Learning, UNB. Project lead.
- Research director in a university-based centre, Mount Allison University, 1990-1996
[toggle title=”Current Research & Activities”]
- Director of the Rural Development Institute at Brandon University
- Steering Committee member. 2011-present. Manitoba Planners Annual Conference.
- From 2013-2015, Bill has been engaged in a number of research projects pertaining to rural immigration, agriculture, and rural innovation. A sample is listed below:
- Agriculture Canada and MB MAFRD, Growing Forward 2. Rural innovation in Manitoba: reducing barriers to commercialization and a place-based approach.
- 2015 Agricultural Greenhouse Gases Program and Upper Assiniboine Conservation District: Demonstration and investigation into agroforestry based livestock systems adoption.
- Citizen and Immigration Canada and Immigration Research West (University of Manitoba). Gaps, barriers, and partnerships in three northern territories of Canada.
- 2014 $8,750 University of Manitoba, Citizen and Immigration Project entitled “Organization for the 33 Community Consultations” Territories Extension
- 2014 Manitoba Agriculture, Food and Rural Development for project entitled “Northern Milk Prices Review Proposal”
- 2014 Canadian Youth Business Foundation, Teaching Entrepreneurial Skills in the Trades (Manitoba)
[toggle title=”Future Plans & Interests”]
- Rural innovation, both in terms of social innovation and the commercialization of innovation
- The capacity in rural areas for innovation and capacity-building
- Rural immigration and trends in settlement and retention in welcoming communities
- Research on regional economic development and functional economic rural regions
- Policy formation, governance, and community-based development
[toggle title=”RPLC Membership & Theme Interests”]
Human Capital and Migration